Learn how to earn cryptocurrencies in online games
Cryptocurrencies and online gaming is no longer a hobby that usually pays to play and has now become a source of income thanks to blockchain technology.
GameFi is one of the biggest trends emerging in the crypto active industry, combining decentralized finance (Defi) and non-fungible tokens ( NFTs ) with blockchain-based games.
How does it work?
All objects in these game types are NFTs – digital tokens used to prove possession of scarce and intangible items. Think about terrains, avatars, costumes, weapons and gold bars. Players find and accumulate these items through gambling, many may be traded with other players via marketplaces digital to NFTs, or be sold, receiving in exchange cryptocurrencies .
Users can increase their profit potential by levelling up and improving their characters, creating monetized structures on their land that other players will have to pay to use, or competing in tournaments, depending on what their game is.
To monitor what each player has, all transaction data from NFTs and cryptocurrencies are kept in a public blockchain. This is a type of distributed digital recording technology, maintained by a global computer network. Pushing this technology into the gaming world provides a number of benefits, including:
- Players can easily prove ownership of their items within the game.
- There are no glitches, that is, players will no longer be at risk of losing what they have in technical problems, such as bugs.
- Items accumulated during gameplay cannot be faked, removed or destroyed.
- It is possible to send and receive native game cryptocurrencies without the need for intermediaries. Some games also include Defi elements such as staking, in which players can lock certain tokens in order to receive annual interest and other rewards. This can be accumulated and used to purchase other in-game items or unlock new content.
What you need to start playing
To earn your space in any of the play-to-earn games, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Create a digital wallet: To store your digital coins and NFTs, and also perform in-game transactions. Which wallet will depend on the blockchain that hosts the chosen game.
- Buy starter items: All games of this genre are free to download. However, many require players to make the first purchase to get started. It is possible to buy characters, native tokens, cards or upgrades.
- Have cryptocurrencies in your digital wallet: To purchase starter items, you need to have a compatible cryptocurrency balance in your digital wallet. The Cryptoblades, for example, requires that you have a digital wallet MetaMask, buy Binance coin (BNB) and replace it with the native cryptocurrency the game, SKILL.
The best Cryptocurrency games of the moment
For gamers looking to get involved in blockchain-based games and start profiting from cryptocurrencies and NFTs, check out a summary of the best games available on the market.
In Alien Worlds, it is possible to join an alien universe that consists of several planets where it is necessary to fight for scarce resources and mine the game’s native cryptocurrency, the trillium (TLM). Players can also war with each other, go on quests and earn additional income by renting their land to others.
The Alien Worlds was the first game to reach the milestone of 100,000 users and currently has over 2.5 million players. This was partly because of its free-to-play nature, ie when you can advance through the game without the need to make additional purchases.
- Native cryptocurrency: trillium ( TLM )
- Blockchains: It is native to WAX, but also works on Ethereum and Binance Smart Chain (BSC)
- Average monthly users: 1,000,000
- Required initial investment: You need to buy game cards from NFTs, such as lands, to mine
Cryptoblades is a role-playing game that simulates traditional games like Skyrim and Dark Souls. Generally players embody characters and can fight monsters or attacks to earn SKILL tokens. To help in battles, it is possible to create weapons that build an advantage over your opponents or increase their power. These items can be traded on an open marketplace.
Gambling itself is pretty straightforward. Fire, earth, lightning, and water are the four main components of each character, weapon, attribute, and enemy. Each component will have strengths and weaknesses. Players must take advantage in order to beat their opponents.
- Native cryptocurrency: Cryptoblades(SKILL)
- Blockchain: Binance Smart Chain (BSC)
- Average monthly users: 510,000
- The initial investment required: You need to buy approximately 0.2 BNB to play and pay in-game transaction fees
A Pokémon-inspired universe where you can buy, care for, breed and trade little digital monsters called “axis”. The Infinity Axe works in their own sidechain to optimize the gaming experience and get effective scalability.
Axie Infinity has great profit potential, but it needs a great deal of involvement to breed, care for and trade rare or exclusive axis. These little monsters can fight each other to earn SLP tokens or go on quests to get resources.
- Native cryptocurrency: axis infinity ( AXS ) and smooth love potion ( SLP )
- Blockchain: Ethereum
- Average monthly users: 308,000
- The initial investment required: You need to buy three-axis to start playing